The Finer Things in Life

We recently had the opportunity to see a wonderful concert at the Emirates Palace Auditorium. The concert was by the Staatskapelle Orchestra from Berlin Germany conducted by Daniel Barenboim. Daniel was a child prodigy on piano playing his first concert at the age of seven and began training as a conductor at ten. His piano playing was exceptional. He is the lifetime conductor of the orchestra which has been in existence for over 450 years. This was definitely worth the $70 for a ticket and something we wouldn’t get to see in North America.

One of the rules of life that I have tried to instill in my children has always been “never turn down the opportunity to see or try something new.” If they don’t like it, well then don’t go back but don’t poo-poo something if you’ve never tried it.

To me, this is one of the most valuable lessons I could ever have taught them.

I remember when they were growing up we didn’t have a lot of money (the military always paid just above the poverty line, or so it seemed), and with little money I had fewer opportunities to take them places and show them the finer pleasures of life.
That doesn’t mean we didn’t do stuff. When we did have enough money, we did stuff. We took a cross USA trip from Nova Scotia down to Boston and then west to Montana and up to Alberta to visit my parents. The return trip was through Canada. Another trip I took them on was to Florida to visit Walt Disney World. My kid’s have even gone white water rafting. I sent my oldest to California after graduation to visit his uncle and then sent him to Louisiana to go to school to become a Commercial Diver.

Now that I am working in the Middle East and have a little more disposible income my wife and I have decided to see and do as may new things that we couldn’t see or do in North America. I am a young 53 but the days seem to be going by fast and I can see the years whipping by. Before long we’ll be returning to North America.

The concerts at the Emirates Palace give us a chance to dress up (I get to wear a tux) and see world class musicians in action. In March, we are going to see Yo Yo Ma, world’s greatest Celloist play. In April we get to watch an Italian Opera and even a ballet.

I own an iPod that houses a lot of my music, at present over 5400 songs. I listen to my music everyday, sometimes as much as 7 hours as I sit at work and write. When I was a younger man, I would have bought cheaper headphones so as not to waste money but I realize the folly of that. I have some of the best music to listen to and I have been wearing mediocre headphones to enjoy it.Well, not anymore. I bought the best ear buds I could find to listen with; a nice pair of Klipsch S4 ear buds. This is important because I don’t want to settle for second best for the things important to me anymore. I want to listen to my music the best way possible. That goes the same at home with my HD TV and fantastic Home Theater System.

This isn’t a new change for me. I have always realized the benefits of buying the best things if necessary. My whole life revolves around writing and I am a stickler for the best pen and keyboard. It makes writing pleasureable for me. It drives me crazy when my wife pays $1.50 for a box of 12 pens when I have spent $50 for just one!

I have had a bad habit of wishing my life away. I can’t wait to make enough money to retire, or I can’t wait for the summer to come so I can go visit, or I can’t wait until my novel is finished. For too long I have neglected today. I am making a point of slowing down and enjoying what I do and see.

It takes a long time to write a novel but I have learned to enjoy every word I put on paper – savour it – love how my words flow to together. Yes it’s great to have it done but it is also just as important to enjoy doing it. That takes a little more work.

My wife and I have been given a fantastic opportunity and it is imperative we take advantage of it.

I work with many whose only focus is work and money. Frankly, I find that kind of sad. As we work here trying to save money (which is why most people are here) it’s important not to lose sight of one thing our accountant always tells us: “Don’t forget - you still have to live.” He doesn’t recommend investing all of your money…you also have to enjoy life.

Just before my dad passed away, he told me “ if there is something you want to do don’t wait like I did. Do it now!”
When he finally retired and was ready to travel and see new things both my parents began to have medical problems.

I took what he said to heart and shortly after his death, I signed up for acting classes and I enjoyed some fun acting in both television and film. Through my life I have been in rock bands, was a crack shot on my army rifle team, played goal in hockey and managed the team as well, took a gamble and moved to Rochester NY to a new job  (and found my wife), became an actor, wrote a few novels and non-fictions books and traveled whenever I could. I have written and produced video book trailers and my wife Carly and I even entered a video we made in a contest. I honed my writing by attending ‘six’ writer’s marathons - a place for writers to write a complete novel in 72 hours for prizes and to raise money for a good cause. This past week I entered my latest novel in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Contest.

The point I am trying to make here is there isn’t much I wouldn’t try if the opportunity arose.
It took me many years to figure out what I really wanted to do…and that is write!
If people took time to understand what they have always wanted to do and took the first step to accomplishing it, it is amazing how the opportunities will begin to come in. Just be ready to embrace it when it comes.
0 Responses